The second stop of the New Brunswick Sportfishing Association tournament season on the long weekend of May 21st and 22nd did not disappoint with the seven top teams bringing over 30 pounds of fish to the scales with several fish over four pounds being weighed in.
The battle for the 2022 Abu Garcia Lunker of the Year Award sponsored by MTB Brokerage is heating up! This year’s prize package is even bigger than last year. This year the winners will receive a cheque for $1,000 and a prize package worth over $1,600, for a total value of over $2,600.
The prize package comprises:
· 2 – Abu Garcia Zata 30 Spinning Reels
· 2 – Abu Garcia Veracity Spinning Rods
· 2 – Abu Garcia Hats
· 2 – Spools of Spiderwire Stealth with Fluoro Leaders (10 lb.)
· 2 – Berkley Mobile Line Spoolers
· 2 – Berkley Spy 70 Hard Baits
· 2 – Berkley Stunna Jerkbaits
· 2 – Berkley Max Capacity Bait Notebooks
· 2 – Berkley Powerbait Grass Pig Packs
· 2 – Berkley Powerbait Power Swimmer Packs
· 2 Berkley Powerbait The Champ Minnow Packs
· 2 – Berkley Powerbait MaxScent Flat Worm Bulk Packs (3 in 1)
· 2 – Berkley Powerbait MaxScent The General Packs – 4 inch
· 4 – Berkley Powerbait MaxScent The General Packs – 5 inch
· $1,000 Cheque
After the 1st tournament of the year the team of Jeff Shaw and Keith Cormier held the lunker of the year at 4.40 pounds, considered a trophy fish on any day. However, it only stood for one event. On the first day of the Nackawic tournament the father and son team of Donnie and John MacLeod weighed-in a monster smallmouth weighing 5.10 pounds! Many anglers fishing throughout their lifetime may never land a fish of that size. It will be difficult to top this one for lunker of the year (LOTY). But if you remember correctly, last season the LOTY wasn’t caught until the last day of the last tournament of the year.
The top three teams of the tournament were: 1st – Gerry Lapierre & Mike Lapierre with 33.35 pounds, 2nd – Paul Melanson & Rob Mason with 32.70 pounds and 3rd – Joe Lokeitek & Mike Peruschek with 32.20 pounds.
The Lucky Strike Award (1st team out of the money) was won by Ron Hooper and Rob Hooper. They received two Lucky Strike B4 Basket nets and a Lucky Strike Livewell net (valued @ close to $200). Numerous Lucky Strike draw prizes were given away that included Livewell nets, Gaiters, and crankbaits (New for 2022).
A New for 2022 Berkley Team Draw Prize Package was given away (draw) to the team of Joe & Terrence Ross. The package was full of 16 Berkley hardbaits, softbaits and hooks/jigs. The prize package is worth well over $150.
The bollé sunglasses a value of $170 was won by the team of Brian Myles and George Hood.
The next event is on July 2nd on Lake Utopia. We hope to see you there.